Sunday, May 5, 2013

Module 5, From Static to Dynamic Technologies


When reflecting on my current position along the static-dynamic continuum, it would be safe to say that I fall in the very middle.  To run an effective traditional classroom that is focused on student achievement, teachers need to use resources that challenge students across a wide variety of mediums.  In my classroom I still use traditional textbooks coupled with paper and pencil assignments to assess achievement, but also use the interactive whiteboard and games with simulation to present and assess content knowledge.  Because I teach first grade students, my ability to give them opportunities to communicate and collaborate dynamically is limited.  However, I am able to use peer-to-peer collaboration as a means to work in groups and communicate with other students.

As a student in a distance education course, I also see myself in the middle of the continuum.  Again, to create a strong resource base one needs to have data and information from multiple sources.  Sometimes this means using traditional static resources.  Although static, textbooks and other sources of information will always be around and valuable.  However, I have seen myself progress towards more dynamic in terms of my research and my information production.  This class has definitely challenged me in that regard as it has required me to use technology that I have little experience using.

As I progress in my teaching career, I hope to stay in the middle of the continuum, but I hope to expand my use of dynamic technologies.  I will always believe that both forms of technology are needed in the traditional classroom, as well as the distance education classroom.

Resources
Fahy, P. J. (2010). Characteristics of interactive online learning media. In T. Anderson (Ed.), The theory and practice of online learning (pp. 167-200).EdmontonAB: AU Press.

Moller, L. (2008). Static and dynamic technological tools.

3 comments:

  1. I love how you created your concept map. It was clear and eye catching.

    Are you using any of the tools on the dynamic end currently in your classroom? If not, which one would you most likely try with your students? If you are, which one and how are you using it to enhance your instruction?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to use various forms of assessments as well. There school I have a student that will fail almost every paper and pencil assignment. Using the same content, I would put the student on an interactive site or do a class basketball game and the student knows the information. If I wasn't doing the interactive assignments I would have just assume that the student does not know the information. I had to create a rewards system to motivate the student to do well on paper and pencil assignments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margaret:

    I like your concept map. Please let me know the tool you used to design it. I am not sure however of the grounds you use to classify certain tools as either static or dynamic. For instance, I think that WIKIS, Discussion boards, and chat rooms should belong to the Dynamic end of the spectrum.

    ReplyDelete